Yasmin Birth Control Acne

I want to start off by saying that although I decided to go off of birth control for my health, I believe it is a woman’s right to choose what feels right for her at any given time and do notcondemn the use of it. I simply want to share my experience and knowledge in hopes that it may help others. Okay.. onwards to my story!

Four years ago I decided it was finally time I went off birth control. I was just beginning my health journey, and I had been doing lots of research on how to improve the health of my gut and skin. It was actually something my old roommate had said (who knew I was on this health journey) that caused me to dive deeper into the dangers of oral contraceptives. He found my birth control that had fallen out of my bag, and decided to look up the brand and see if it was linked to digestive issues- I know right, such a muffin. Turns out there is a connection! I was absolutely SHOCKED. At that point I had already been feeling an energetic draw to stop it for a while, so once I heard it could be attributing to my gut troubles, I knew it was time to ditch it right then and there.

I'd

During that time my skin actually wasn’t too bad, being on birth control had sort of “helped”, temporarily. I’m sure most woman who have been on the pill primarily to help their acne can attest to the ups and downs it brings. One brand would work for a while, and then suddenly it wouldn’t, and I’d move on to the next.. and the cycle would continue. By the time I had decided to go off the pill, it had been almost a decade that I had been on it. I was so happy I had finally made the move to get off of it, but I had no idea what struggles were ahead of me.

Yaz Lawsuit: Bayer Yasmin Settlements Already Total $1.4b

Fast forward 2 months later, and I’m dealing with the worst case of hormonal acne I had ever experienced. Painful cysts covered my neck, jawline and chin. It was really, really awful. I’m sure this story is all too familiar for so many women that have gone off the pill. Let me tell you you are not alone! Post birth control acne is incredibly common, and it can be really hard on the ol’ self esteem.

I had just moved to Vancouver Island and was in my first few months of my nutrition program, and honestly, I felt depressed and unattractive. I struggled to leave the house without makeup – I didn’t even want to go to the gym because I knew what a bad idea it was to workout with makeup on, and I could hardly bare the idea of showing my acne.

Acne isn’t the only side effect of going off the pill. There’s actually a name for the list of symptoms that can occur- Post Birth Control Syndrome. These symptoms may include:

Here's Everything You Need To Know About Spironolactone

In my case, I was lucky to get my natural cycle back right away, and I know that isn’t the case for so many woman. I did, however, experience pretty crippling anxiety, but I don’t know for sure if that was from going off the pill or from the stress of the acne itself. Hard to say…

I spent that winter learning as much as I could about healing hormonal acne, both from my school and my own research. I dove deep into it, and came out not only with clear skin, but a wealth of knowledge that to this day I am so grateful to have. I’ve realized over the years since then that our healing journeys are not linear , but rather ever changing as we adapt to new life experiences. Ive gotten breakouts since then, due mostly to times of stress and poor sleep, but I’m now equipped with tools to find my way back to balance. We may go through similar struggles in the future, but having these life experiences makes the next one much more manageable.

I want to be clear with anyone reading this that it was not a quick process for me. Healing can take time, especially if you’ve been on the pill for around a decade like I had been! Its even harder when your past lifestyle included copious amounts of alcohol, stress, and a diet that consisted mostly of pizza, grilled cheese and pasta. BUT I absolutely guarantee anyone can heal their post pill acne with the right tools and mind set. Just know your efforts will pay off and the rewards are huge!

Women Reveal Real Birth Control Stories

NOTE: What I am about to provide is a compilation of information that I used to help heal my post pill acne. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

The hormones (estrogen and progestin) in certain birth control pills, particularly in brands like Yaz and Yasmin, work to decrease the circulation of androgens (like testosterone) which in turn decreases the production of sebum. This decrease in sebum helps to prevent pores from becoming clogged and infected. These drugs are designed to shut down your entire reproductive system, stopping your brain from talking to your ovaries and halting ovulation. Scary.

The liver is our main organ of detoxification, and if it is not functioning properly, or “sluggish”, it will struggle to detoxify and eliminate the synthetic hormones from the pill, leading to further hormonal imbalances.

Things

Yaz Vs Yasmin: What's The Difference?

The birth control pill has been linked to disruptions of the microbiome, and can lead to leaky gut. Our body relies on our digestive tract for elimination, and when it’s compromised excess hormones cannot be properly eliminated. This disruption of the microbiome can also cause inflammation, leading to a worsening of skin issues.

Firstly, I want to make it clear I wasn’t super rigid with my diet while I was detoxing from the pill. I could have been more strict and possibly seen clearer skin quicker, but I’m a firm believer that more rigidity in your diet just causes more stress- especially when you want to eat out with friends or go to a dinner party!

Find a happy balance- if you haven’t eaten, say, gluten all week and someone invites you out to an Italian restaurant, I say go for it! But please, listen to your body. If you feel absolutely awful after, or your skin is noticeably worse in the next few days, maybe it wasn’t worth it.

Things I've Learnt About Managing Acne After Coming Off The Pill

I found for me my triggers that I really needed to stay away from the most (and I still stay away from these for the most part) was sugar (any type except fruit and a little maple syrup or honey), gluten, and dairy – dairy being the worst.

Take a high quality prenatal vitamin , it contains higher amounts of vitamins and minerals (than a regular multivitamin) that are depleted by the pill

How

Take a supplement with ingredients such as DIM, broccoli sprout extract, rosemary extract and calcium-D-glucarate – they help the liver to properly metabolize excess hormones

Yaz, Other Birth Control Pills Tied To Blood Clots

It took me about 4 months to finally clear my skin, and at times I felt hopeless, thinking it would never get better. Just keep reminding yourself it WILL, and all the hard work will absoutely 100% be worth it! I promise.A WOMAN who never had a single pimple until she took birth control pills that caused her face to break out in cystic acne so severe that it affected her sight.

Office management assistant, Mina Stein, 20, from Frankfurt, Germany, has struggled with acne for the past two years after birth control pills triggered a change in her skin.

She began taking birth control pills in 2018 and acne was not listed as a side effect – this has since changed.

The Pill, Your Skin, And Hormonal Acne

Mina developed acne as soon as she started taking the pills. It started out with a few faint pimples but a few months later, Mina was suffering from painful cysts, swelling of the face, and rosacea – a condition causing redness in the skin.

Acne]

Mina explained: “I wasn’t aware acne was a side effect of the birth control pills as it was never mentioned in the packaging insert.

“It started developing immediately. At first, I got red bumps under the skin on my cheeks and a few pimples on my forehead.

Best Skincare Routine After Coming Off The Pill

“Then the pimples became more painful and my face would swell. I developed cysts and rosacea. I switched birth control pills but it wouldn’t go away. It only got worse.”

Dermatologists were dismissive and Mina would often consider cancelling plans with friends for fear of appearing in photos or being judged for her acne.

She added: “It definitely influenced my confidence. I didn’t want to look in the mirror or be in photos – or even look anyone in the eye.

Yasmin

Fyi: This Was The Best Prescription For My Acne

“I cried a lot. I’d never had skin issues before so I felt totally overwhelmed. At the time,